Thursday, October 24, 2013

Jackson Pollock

Jackson Pollock’s paintings were described by Pollock himself as “energy and motion/made visible.”  Compare and contrast Pollock’s work with another work of your choice—visually, physically, or in media used.

I tried to look for a work of art that was similar to Jackson Pollocks work.  Looking throught the book I found on page 78, figure 5-1, 2002 Julie Mehretu's Dispersion.  The paint does not look splattered like Jackson Pollocks, but instead guided.  Julie's work is more modern, while Pollock's work is older.  
Pollock painted how he felt.  Julie, however, I am unsure. On http://www.art21.org/images/julie-mehretu/dispersion-2002 , she says:
"I’m not trying to make these paintings to understand my time in the same way that I was five years ago. I’m not trying to make a painting that makes sense at the moment. That will happen through the work whether the piece feels like it was made for the moment or not." 

-Julie Mehretu
Like she is just painting the first things that pop in to her mind and blending them all together as one.  If she did there is nothing wrong with that, it is just the vibe I get.
Pollock only seems to move the brush across the canvess.  Julie adds shapes and smudges.  She separates her work.  Uses the space on the canvas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment